As part of the district’s Strategic Plan, committees, made up of more than 100 district stakeholders, provided the district with ways the community would like to see enhancement and additions to curriculum. The district has made several changes to curriculum to make sure students are receiving a 21st Century Learning Education.
DISTRICT STRATEGIC PLAN (PDF)
DISTRICT STRATEGIC PLAN (RTF)
- Bridges in Mathematics is being taught at the elementary level (K-5).
- College Preparatory Mathematics is the adopted curriculum for middle school students (6-8).
- Middle school students can take Algebra 1 for high school credit.
- Poland Seminary High School is offering more Advanced Placement courses and College Credit Plus Classes.
- A K-12 Literacy Team is in place to meet the needs of all students.
- The district received an A ranking on the Ohio State Report Card for gap closing, meeting the needs of all sub-groups.
- Poland Local Schools are part of the Striving Readers Grant, a $1.2 million dollar grant that will strengthen language and literacy from birth to high school. The grant is through the Mahoning County Educational Service Center (MCESC). MCESC is working with our staff, training Teacher Leaders in Math and English Language Arts. Poland has two Literacy Coaches, and our Teacher Leaders will take what they’ve learned and provide professional development to their peers this spring.
- Technology classes were created for grades 5-8.
- New, state-of-the-art Apple Lab at the middle school, which aligns with the curriculum at the high school.
- Every student has the opportunity to gain experience in Apple, Microsoft and Google.
- STEM curriculum is now offered to 5-8th grade students.
- The high school has an AP Computer Science Class.
- Every classroom now has a phone.
- Adopted a Chromebook Replacement Policy
- Staff has gone through development training to increase technology integration in the classroom.
New Courses for the 2018-2019 School Year at McKinley Elementary
- 5th Grade STEM
- Family and Consumer Science- Career Exploration for 5th grade
New Courses/ Electives for the 2018-2019 School Year at Poland Middle School
- 6th grade STEM
- Technology for all grades
- Family/Consumer Science for 6th grade
- New 8th grade electives
- Spanish 1 for high school credit
- Intro to Art for high school credit
- Intro to Broadcasting
- Careers and Your Future
- Culinary Arts/Cooking
- Fashion Textiles and Interior Design
- Personal Fitness/Healthy Living
- Team Sports